Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus cannot open an NNTP server

From: WJCarpenter
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus cannot open an NNTP server
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:05:16 -0800 (PST)

>> >   nntp(inetnews.att.net) open error: ''.  Continue? (y or n)

> I am.  I did.  It didn't help.

Run your connection through a generic TCP proxy that records what's going
through it.  In other words, configure your proxy to run on localhost,
listening on some port (maybe 119 if it's not busy on your machine).
Configure the proxy to forward to port 119 on inetnews.att.net.

I don't have a suggestion for what generic proxy to use, though I'm
thinking a search would turn up too many rather than too few.  If you are
already comfortable in Java, you could use tcpmon from Apache Axis:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/xml-axis/java/docs/user-guide.html#tcpmon