Re: [h-e-w] ntemacs and ViaVoice

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] ntemacs and ViaVoice
Date: 30 Jan 2003 20:13:41 +0000

Charley Hamilton <address@hidden> writes:

> I routinely have a problem that every time I pause between
> words, via voice apparently sends a signal which emacs is
> interpreting so as to cause a paste operation (whatever is in
> the kill ring), and a series of periods to appear.  This is
> a very weird failure mode (at least to me) and I was wondering:
>
>       - What can I do to find out what viavoice is sending
>       that is setting off emacs?

Before you start using ViaVoice, type

  M-: (open-dribble-file "~/dribble")

Then try to reproduce the bug. Once the bug has been reproduced, type

  M-: (open-dribble-file nil)

Now look in the file "~/dribble", to see what keystrokes Emacs thinks
it got.

>       - Has anyone else successfully used voice recognition
>       (ideally ViaVoice 9) software with ntemacs in any
>       version?  Was there any trick to it?

I have not tried such software, but the current CVS version has some
changes that were made for better compatibility with accessibility
software that might be relevant (the changes I'm thinking of affect
text->speech conversion rather than speech->text though).

--
Jason Rumney