Re: [h-e-w] RE: Selecting and setting a fixed width font for NT

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] RE: Selecting and setting a fixed width font for NT
Date: 05 Feb 2003 19:23:27 +0000

"Raymond Zeitler" <address@hidden> writes:

> I like Fixedsys.  I have this in my .emacs:
>
> (setq default-frame-alist
>       '(
>         ; Other things removed
>         (font .
> "-raster-Fixedsys-normal-r-normal-normal-12-90-96-96-c-*-iso10646-1")))
>
> The only thing I'm disappointed with is that the alternate IBM extended
> character set (which includes the line-drawing characters and Greek letters)
> isn't displayed "properly."

For certain definitions of properly.  Fixedsys is a Unicode font on
NT/2000/XP, so it has the full Unicode character set. What you
probably expect, from experience with Windows 9x and non-Unicode aware
applications is for characters in the range 128 - 256 to be graphic
characters, but in unicode the graphics are in some other character
range.

It should be possible to display the characters properly by using
cp437 as the coding system, but I think cp437 is incomplete (enough to
get European characters working in DOS but no more) in 21.2, so you'll
probably need the CVS version of lisp/international/code-pages.el