Re: [h-e-w] Re-fontiying buffers

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re-fontiying buffers
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:19:58 -0000

From: "Sarir A Khamsi" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 11:43 PM
Subject: [h-e-w] Re-fontiying buffers

> Some times when I open a file, Emacs start to fontify _all_ of my buffers
> and I have to wait for it to complete before I can do anything. Most of
the
> time, it only fontifies the buffer for a single new file I open. Does
> anyone know what might be happening or how to fix this?
>
> I have Emacs 21.2.1 on Win2k, SP2. Thanks.

I don't know whether this is relevant, but a new Font Lock Support Mode
called jit lock (Font Lock support mode to fontify just-in-time) was
introduced recently (probably with Emacs 21).  It is the default and I have
had no trouble with it.  If you are using some other Font Lock Support Mode
then you might like to try jit lock.  You can see all the options in the
Font Lock customisation buffer, i.e. run (customize-group "font-lock").

Francis