RE: [h-e-w] problem with dired and "start" command

From: Grissom, Ed
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] problem with dired and "start" command
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:23:57 -0600

Or better yet, when on XP, in dired, and you hit 'X', then just hit 'Enter'.

If the file type is registered, the app for that file type runs.

If it is not registered, then 'start' ain't gonna help anyway.

Bottom line -- you don't need to type 'start' or any of its options at all.

(Also, the quoted string must be the very first arg to start for it to
assume it is a window title.  If you do something like 'start /b
"file.txt"', or 'start /NORMAL "file.txt"' no window title stuff happens.)

--
ed grissom
address@hidden