Re: [h-e-w] Help needed in Maintaining Emacs w32 FAQ

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Help needed in Maintaining Emacs w32 FAQ
Date: 05 Oct 2005 21:15:10 -0500

On Wednesday, October 05, "Jason Rumney" <address@hidden> wrote:
>David Vanderschel <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't remember much discussion that opposed the idea
>> of folding help for emacs on Windows into the wiki.

>RMS once opposed the idea, but I do not remember if it was for the
>Emacs-W32 FAQ, or the main Emacs FAQ. His opinion was that the FAQ is
>expected by users to be accurate, so the FSF should have some degree
>of control over its content. However if his comments were about the
>main Emacs FAQ, then he might not consider it necessary to place the
>same restrictions on the Emacs-W32 FAQ

Logically, I think RMS's argument would apply just as
well to Windows-specific issues.  I do understand the
argument.  However, what concerns me is that, to be
useful, the Official Emacs-on-Windows FAQ needs to be
maintained.  The irony is that, with a dual approach,
I expect the information in the wiki will tend to be
more up to date and more useful on account of it.
There is a danger that some (but not enough) effort
will be expended to maintain the official FAQ, when
few people are using it (and would be ill-advised to
do so).  If possible, I would like to find a way to
avoid the apparently redundant (and possibly wasted)
effort.

A thought:  Might it not be possible to blend FSF
"officialness" into the wiki?  Eg., could the wiki not
freeze FSF-approved pages?  Ie., when you go to a page
you might find a notation like "content on this page
verified by FSF" OR "There is an earlier version of
this page which has been checked by the FSF:  [link]
This version contains additional new material
regarding [whatever]."

It strikes me that many of the folks working on the
wiki are already the same folks who can speak for the
"officialness" of some information.

Regards,
  David V.