[h-e-w] How to setup Cygwin/MSYS with Emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: [h-e-w] How to setup Cygwin/MSYS with Emacs
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:33:49 +0200

It has been working fine for me to use the GnuWin32 utilities with Emacs. Now, trying to use JDEE and some other stuff, I need a Posix style shell for Emacs on MS Windows. I have therefor had a second look at Cygwin and MSYS to see if they can cooperate as nicely as the GnuWin32 utilities with MS Windows.

The major headache is the line ending format wich is CRLF in Windows and LF in *nix. MSYS have big troubles with this. Cygwin to some extent tries to handle it. It can be installed so that files with text should be read in "text mode" which means that lines can be read by most of the programs that are reading text as - surprise - just lines, independent of if the line ending is CRLF or LF. (Quite good, why should some program reading text want to do it in another way? Is really CR a part of a line in any text file of importance?)

Now that I have Cygwin using "text mode" I try to figure out what I need to tell Emacs to use it. I want to use an Emacs that has been compiled as a native MS Windows application. There is some information about this at

   http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC63

Comparing this with setup-cygwin.el from http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/setup-cygwin.el shows some confusing differences. For example the setup of `process-coding-system-alist'. In setup-cygwin.el it is:

(setq process-coding-system-alist (cons '("bash" . (raw-text-dos . raw-text-unix))
                   process-coding-system-alist))

The Cygwin page above instead has

   (setq process-coding-system-alist '(("bash" . undecided-unix)))
                  (setq shell-file-name "bash")

The info node "(elisp) Default Coding Systems" says:

      *Warning:* Coding systems such as `undecided', which determine the
   coding system from the data, do not work entirely reliably with
   asynchronous subprocess output.  This is because Emacs handles
   asynchronous subprocess output in batches, as it arrives.

It seems to me that undecided-unix is not correct here then, but can someone who knows more than me about this please comment on this? (I guess the shell is run as an async subprocess?) What should it actually be? Does it depend on some setup in Cygwin? (I think I saw something about pipes and binary vs text I/O?)

How should this be handled if MSYS is used instead?

And if there someday will be a GnuWin32 port of bash how should the `process-coding-system-alist' be setup for that bash?

*********
Something that is even more confusing is that none of the sources above mentions other programs like diff, grep etc. This then as far as I can understand gets some default values. Why is this not good for bash too?? I guess these programs are run without starting bash explicitly? Is there something going on behind the scene?

*********
Another small trouble: Both mentions `explicit-shell-file-name' which does not seem to exist in CVS Emacs?

That is all for the moment... ;-)