Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows

From: Richard M. Heiberger
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:51:03 -0500

> One thing that I at the moment have commented out is setting of
> process-coding-system-alist, because I do not understand when it is
> needed.

cygwin bash, when running inside an emacs *shell* buffer, must use
'undecided-unix
or it won't work.

Here is an annotated transcript:

## my normal setting is  'undecided-unix
/cygdrive/c/HOME/rmh/hh$ date
Wed Nov 23 15:11:42 EST 2005

## M-: (set-buffer-process-coding-system 'undecided-dos 'undecided-dos)
/cygdrive/c/HOME/rmh/hh$ date
: command not found
## what happened above is that CR LF was sent to bash.  It died on the CR.

## restore normal behavior
## M-: (set-buffer-process-coding-system 'undecided-unix 'undecided-unix)
/cygdrive/c/HOME/rmh/hh$ date
Wed Nov 23 15:12:23 EST 2005
/cygdrive/c/HOME/rmh/hh$

Some Windows programs running inside a comint buffer require 'undecided-windows.