RE: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs

From: Phil Betts
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:51:30 +0100

Oops!  Re-sending.  I clicked "reply" instead of "reply to all",
sorry Christian.

C.Strobl wrote on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 9:40 AM:

> but my last question was, because i wasted so much time with this
> problem and i think it will be not the last, exists there any list of
> all cusomize-options (internet, book,...) with short descriptions,
> for example to find the option  gnuserv-reuseframe. the option menu
> is not very clear for me. christian

Your first step should probably be M-x customize-apropos (and friends),
or look at the equivalent menu options under "Options->Customize Emacs".
Be aware that a variable only appears once the .el file in which it is
defined is loaded.  E.g. to see what you can tweak to customize
hippie-expand, you must first load hippie-exp.el (well worth it :-))
  (load-library "hippie-exp")

You might also want to bookmark the emacs wiki at:
  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki
This has lots of useful stuff for everything emacsy.

You could also try http://www.dotemacs.de/ for lots of examples of
users' .emacs files.

Lennart Borgman wrote on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 4:26 PM:
> Use the variable `gnuserv-reuse-frame' instead. It can be customized.

If you're lucky!  To save anyone else from a fruitless search, this
variable is *not* in the gnuserv.el in the package linked to by the
gnu site, although it is in the beta package from the same site:
  http://www.wyrdrune.com/Files/gnuserve_beta.zip
I assume this version is included in EmacsW32.

Phil

the H.E Information Systems Ltd.
Tel:    0161 866 9066
Web:  www.heis.co.uk