Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:08:03 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:31 PM::
> I wish people would recommend the Emacs documentation _before_ wiki
> and the other sites.
> If the documentation bundled with Emacs is not complete or wrong or
> unclear, please report that as bugs.

In general the docs are not very useful for creating a .emacs.  As
I've been "reporting as bugs" for years, the reason is that it has no
sample code.  There seems to be a philosophical objection to putting
sample code in the documentation.

Here's an example:

Suppose I want to set the color for comments.  I figure out that the
variable is font-lock-face-attributes.  The manual says "See its
documentation string for details."  C-h v font-lock-face-attributes
says "not documented as a variable".  Dead end.

So I look next at font-lock-comment-face, who's documentation says
"Face name to use for comments."  Another dead end.

Finally, I look at font-lock.el, which says "Comments will be
displayed in `font-lock-comment-face'."  Dead end.

What I'd like to see in the manual is sample code like this:

(setq font-lock-face-attributes
      ;; FACE                         FG         BG      bold italic underline
      '((font-lock-comment-face       "gold"     "red"   1     nil   nil)
        ))

The documentation gives me a homework assignment; Google gives me the
answer.

--
Ken Goldman   address@hidden   914-784-7646