Re: AW: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: AW: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:22:45 +0300

> From: David Vanderschel <address@hidden>
> Date: 11 Jul 2006 13:04:57 -0500
>
> Lennart, you may not care for the Windows FAQ, but it
> seems to me that you are doing the users of your
> EmacsW32 package a disservice by not providing a
> "for further information" type of link to it.

Please, let's not proliferate forked efforts!  If the Emacs FAQ lacks
important Windows-specific information, let us add it there, instead
of wasting our limited resources on maintaining as yet another
separate source of information.

The NTEmacs FAQ was invented because Emacs on Windows initially had so
many deviant behaviors that it was almost impossible to set it up in a
reasonable fashion without extra tools, tricks, and tips.  Most, if
not all, of those problems should be gone now, I think.  That is why
the NTEmacs FAQ is outdated: there was no good reason to update it, as
many items there are simply not needed anymore.

If someone thinks that there are still many Windows-specific issues to
be covered in the FAQ, please tell what are those issues.  I'd be
surprised to learn there's lots to be said that cannot be found in the
manual, but even if I'm wrong, there's no reason not to add that to
the Emacs FAQ, which comes with the distribution and therefore will
always be up to date.