Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:37:09 +0300

> From: David Vanderschel <address@hidden>
> Date: 14 Jul 2006 11:18:07 -0500
>
> It has occurred to me that folks who contribute to the
> Wiki should be encouraged to reference material in the
> official manual and/or FAQ _whenever_ there is
> relevant documentation in either.

Yes.  In addition, if some important information is missing, I'd
suggest to ask on emacs-devel why not add it to the manual or the
FAQ.  That is, don't automatically add to the wiki something that you
think should be in the bundled docs.

> To facilitate this, it would be helpful if the current
> FAQ could be accessed as HTML on the gnu.org site.

The last released FAQ _is_ accessible, but I see no reason not to
refer to the Info manual, since any Emacs user should already have
them as part of the distribution.

> When useful documentation appears in the Wiki and that
> documentation has no counterpart in the existing
> official documents, then it strikes me that there
> should be an effort to migrate that documentation into
> the official gnu.org tree after which it can be
> accessed by reference from the Wiki.

Yes, please!

> What powers need to rule that someone representing the
> Windows port of Emacs should be allowed to work on the
> the official Emacs FAQ?  I don't know how such efforts
> are managed.

Just post a suggested patch to emacs-devel, and someone will pick it
up, or start a discussion, if needed.

> I have my doubts about whether the FAQ on the Emacs
> Web site at gnu.org is current with the manual there.
> The manual says "it corresponds to GNU Emacs version
> 22.0.50."  Regarding current released version, the
> Emacs page says "21.4 (stable) released on
> 2005-11-05".  The FAQ says "last updated on 26 October
> 2001".

The FAQ is consistent with Emacs 21.1.  All the released versions
since then were bugfixes, so it's not immediately clear that the FAQ
needed any changes.

That said, we didn't have an active maintainer for the FAQ for quites
some time, so maybe that's part of the reason.