Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs
Date: 17 Jul 2006 09:24:41 -0500

On Sunday, July 16, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote:
>A properly formatted reference to an Info manual will cause Emacs to
>display it, even though it's not HTML.

>In other words, if Emacs can easily resolve a reference to an Info
>manual from within another Info manual, it can also resolve such a
>reference from an HTML page.

Eli, could you please provide a pointer to some
documentation of what such a "properly formatted
reference to an Info manual" looks like in an HTML
document?  I think I could use this if I understood it
better; and I must admit that I was certainly unaware
of the possibility.  Clearly my lack of knowledge
about this possibility is one reason for our earlier
failure to communicate.

Given that the mechanism you mention would only work
if one were using emacs as his browser, the argument,
as I understand it, still strikes me as being somewhat
irrelevant.  I personally would rather use a
full-function browser like Firefox, and I suspect this
would also be true for a large fraction of folks who
might be consulting the Wiki.  Can such a reference be
formulated and Firefox be configured in such a way
that even Firefox itself could fire up emacs's Info
reader?  (It would certainly be possible to associate
a 'file' type with a gnudoit type of call.)

Regards,
  David V.