Re: [h-e-w] Re: new user keybindings

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: new user keybindings
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:29:42 +0300

> From: Mathias Dahl <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:35:26 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> Are you using a lot of other programs on windows too?
> >
> > I'm not Raymond, but I do use other programs.
> >
> > However, I don't see how that matters.  You don't need to go as far as
> > CUA to bump into differences: what about C-f (search) and C-s (save)?
> > what about C-z (undo) and C-y (redo)?  Are you saying we should remap
> > them in Emacs as well, for the uniformity's sake?
>
> Eli, please... Why stretch things into absurdity?

It's a valid style of arguing about something.

> But, you cannot deny that C-c, C-v and C-x (in my opinion the most
> commonly used keyboard shortcuts) are *extremely* well supported?

Yes, but the price for using so many single-character bindings is very
heavy: look how heavily they use function keys and Shift/Ctrl/Alt
variations of them.  It's a pain to type with such bindings.

Anyway, this is going nowhere: Emacs will never turn CUA on by
default.  We might as well stop arguing.