Re: [h-e-w] expand-file-name leaves forward slashes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] expand-file-name leaves forward slashes
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:38:15 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 05:15:52 -0400
>
> > Btw, I don't really understand what's wrong with c:/foo/bar style of
> > file names that ada-mode needs to mirror the slashes.  Can you
> > explain?  I'm afraid you will hit lots of problems if you use
> > backslash-style absolute file names in Emacs.  (That is the reason why
> > Emacs sets directory-sep-char to `/' in the first place.)
>
> It is because we are executing DOS commands.

That is not necessarily a problem; see below.

> When running on "plain windows" (no Cygwin), we are using a DOS shell.
> 'cd' requires DOS filenames (back slashes); it cannot handle forward
> slashes.

Is `cd' the only problem?  Most commands internal to the Windows shell
will happily accept forward slashes if you enclose the file name in
quotes; `cd' is one of the few exceptions.  For example try this in
the Windows shell:

        dir "C:/Program Files"

You will see that it works.

> So I would only call convert-standard-filename to create the 'cd'
> command.

If `cd' is the only problem, you could instead change the value of
default-directory of the buffer where you invoke the build command.
That is what "M-x compile" does.

Btw, are you sing "M-x compile" to run the "build" command?  If not,
why not?