Re: [h-e-w] Windows port Emacs with GDB from Cygwin

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows port Emacs with GDB from Cygwin
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 01:20:56 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:42:39 -0500
>> From: "Guangran Zhu" <address@hidden>
>>
>> I suspect the problem comes from the fact that I am using Cygwin and
>> windows port of Emacs, but I do not know the exact cause.
>
> I would suspect that as well: Emacs uses pipes to talk to GDB, and the
> Cygwin implementation of pipes is subtly incompatible with native
> Windows pipes used by Emacs on Windows.  To make sure this is the
> problem, I suggest to download the MinGW port of GDB (available from
> the MinGW site), and see if the problem goes away when you use that
> port.

It's also likely that the filenames are different; with a standard
Cygwin install, Cygwin gdb will prefix file names with /cygdrive/c/
(or whatever the device letter is); Win32 Emacs won't understand
those.

There is an Emacs package that helps in general with Cygwin drive
names; I don't remember the package name, and I don't know if gdb can
use it.

Another option is to re-install Cygwin at c:/ (not c:/Cygwin); then Cygwin
will mount / at c:/, and Cygwin gdb won't prefix file names with
/cygdrive, and Emacs will be happy.

--
-- Stephe