[h-e-w] Re: Want a hybrid of traditional Emacs and EmacsW32

From: Tony Mc
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Want a hybrid of traditional Emacs and EmacsW32
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:07:57 +0000

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:32:56 -0500, Mark Ludwig <address@hidden>
wrote:

> (The solution to starting Emacs the first time using
> emacsclient/emacsserver on UNIX leverages the ALTERNATE_EDITOR
> environmental variable, a concept that does not exist on Windows, as far
> as I know.)

This is what I do and it works on Windows XP SP2 as it does on
Unixlikes that I have tried. To set an environment variable in Windows
you go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Tab and click on the
"Environment Variables" button. I have my ALTERNATE_EDITOR variable
set to C:\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe. Emacs opens if not already open and
is activated with a new buffer otherwise.

Best
Tony