[h-e-w] Maximize emacs on XP

From: Nkuvu the Wonder Tortoise
Subject: [h-e-w] Maximize emacs on XP
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:35:58 -0700 (PDT)

I am attempting to set up emacs on a new Windows XP
installation. I downloaded a few of the latest
versions of emacs, but they're all exhibiting the same
behavior -- notably, the maximize is not...
maximizing. To be specific, when I just have
"(w32-send-sys-command 61488)" in my .emacs file, the
frame jumps around a bit. And the frame does not
actually fill the available space -- there is usually
a gap of about a line or two near the bottom. The
frame can also be moved by dragging the title bar,
just like a non-maximized frame.

If I restore and then maximize the window myself,
emacs works fine and maximizes properly. However I've
found that if I switch to a different application and
return, occasionally emacs will no longer be fully
maximized.

I searched through the mailing list archives and found
the following snippet:

(defun jbr-init ()
  "Called from term-setup-hook after the default
terminal setup is
done or directly from startup if term-setup-hook not
used.  The value
0xF030 is the command for maximizing a window."
  (interactive)
  (w32-send-sys-command 61488)
  (ecb-redraw-layout)
  (calendar)
)

(setq term-setup-hook 'jbr-init)
(setq window-setup-hook 'jbr-init)

Note that this was from
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-emacs-windows/2002-08/msg00013.html

Upon startup emacs complains about the
ecb-redraw-layout function, and I haven't been able to
find a reference to this. However if that function
call is removed, emacs no longer maximizes properly.
But if I ignore the complaint from emacs, it works
properly -- except that it still occasionally resizes
upon task switching.

Any ideas on how to make emacs stay maximized?

Thanks in advance.

Access, No Cost.