RE: [h-e-w] Extremely slow file name completion for remote drives

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Extremely slow file name completion for remote drives
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:29:24 -0700

> Meanwhile I've puzzled out what caused my problem.
> w32-get-true-file-attributes now defaults to t!

Interesting. So why is the default now t?

The doc string says that "this option is only useful for files on NTFS volumes,
where hard links are supported" and it "slows down `file-attributes'
noticeably." The Emacs manual is stronger: "It considerably slows down Dired and
other features, so disable it on slow machines."

What does a value of t mean for FAT32 volumes - does it still slow things down,
or does if have no performance impact? If the former, couldn't this be made to
act as if nil for FAT32 volumes?