Re: [h-e-w] find-file space-bar completion

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] find-file space-bar completion
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:31:58 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:
Beverley Eyre wrote:

The version of EmacsW32 that I currently use won't do completion when I invoke find-file (\C-x\C-f) and press the space-bar. I talked to Lennart about this, and he told me that, because some file names have spaces in them, this function was disabled and now in invoked with the TAB key. He also said that there is a variable that you can set that will revert the keybinding back to SPC. I have been unable to find it, so I thought I'd ask the folk here whether anyone knows what it is?

The solution is mentioned in etc/NEWS (C-h n).

** When Emacs prompts for file names, SPC no longer completes the file name.

Eh, and I just realized that Beverley might be running the CVS version of Emacs 23. This info is just there for 22.1 (or are old news somewhere too?). Here are the relevant parts of the etc/NEWS file for the released Emacs 22.1:

** When Emacs prompts for file names, SPC no longer completes the file name.
This is so filenames with embedded spaces could be input without the
need to quote the space with a C-q.  The underlying changes in the
keymaps that are active in the minibuffer are described below under
"New keymaps for typing file names".

*** New keymaps for typing file names

Two new keymaps, `minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map'  and
`minibuffer-local-must-match-filename-map', apply whenever
Emacs reads a file name in the minibuffer.  These key maps override
the usual binding of SPC to `minibuffer-complete-word' (so that file
names with embedded spaces could be typed without the need to quote
the spaces).