[h-e-w] EmacsW32 renames buffers with old Windows shortened file names.

From: Gayard, Leonel
Subject: [h-e-w] EmacsW32 renames buffers with old Windows shortened file names.
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:09:56 +0200

I've just installed the patched version of EmacsW32 from
http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

I find it very nice that .txt files are associated wth Emacs, so that when you
click on one, emacsclient opens it in the running instance of Emacs.

Problem is, for some reason, the buffer is renamed with the old-style shortened
file names, so, for example, the buffer with file "activities-2008.txt" is
renamed to "ACTIV~1.TXT", which I don't like.

How do I get EmacsW32 not to rename the buffer, and use the whole file name as
the buffer name instead ?

BTW: I've asked this same exact question on stackoverflow.com, but I guess that
this mailing list might yield better results. Anyway, feel free to post your
answer there as well, I'll gladly vote it up.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/892934/

Leonel Aguilar Gayard

GFT Iberia Solutions
Sorocaba, São Paulo - Brazil