[h-e-w] Problems loading ecb

From: Joe Jones
Subject: [h-e-w] Problems loading ecb
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 12:28:32 -0800

I am trying to get ecb working on my Win 7 box but am having quite a bit of difficulty, mostly due to cedet. After a lot of digging around it turns out that cedet is included with the distribution (EmacsW32 emacs build 23.1). However, there are some definite differences over what ecb is expecting.

First off, according to the cedet site, a simple setup is as below:

(global-ede-mode 1)                      ; Enable the Project management system
(semantic-load-enable-code-helpers)      ; Enable prototype help and smart completion
(global-srecode-minor-mode 1)            ; Enable template insertion menu

global-ede-mode works fine, but none the other calls fail. It turns out that neither semantic nor srecode are loaded by cedet as expected. I can add a set of require lines for each ( (require 'semantic) (require 'srecode) ) in my .emacs file which seems to load fine. However, neither of those functions appears to be available.

Given this I still tried to get ecb 2.40 to work so I installed it into Emacs/emacs/site-lisp and added the appropriate load-file and require lines to my .emacs file. On load, this all fails because ecb can't find the semantic-ctxt package/ This seems weird but I looked around in the sources in cedet and lo and behold, the package names are different! semantic-ctx is now semantic/ctxt. In fact, all the packages that used semantic-XXXX are now semantic/XXX.

On top of this, there is one package being looked for (semantic/analyze/fcn) that is being required in a few semantic lisp files that doesn't seem to actually be provided by anybody in the included cedet package.

At this point I am at wit's end. I have no idea what to do to get ecb working in this version of emacs.Any help in getting this going is greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
joe