RE: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows

From: rajesh.jag
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Editing remote file on Linux machine using Emacs on Windows
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:20:15 +0530

> if you use the Xming server, you can run rootless,
> so the X windows appear as native Windows on your
> desktop (I'm not sure if Cygwin/X supports this,
> as Cygwin tends to be a more self contained environment).

Cygwin does support rootless mode. Works beautifully, and has worked for
me for at least the last 6 years. Now they even ship with a Start Menu
shortcut called "XWin Server" that starts it along with an xterm.

However, as I mentioned in another email, I really don't want to install
emacs on the VM.
The tramp option over ssh sounds like a great idea. I just need to
figure out how to make it work.

Regards,
Rajesh J Advani