[h-e-w] Behaviour of Emacs on Windows 7 taskbar

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: [h-e-w] Behaviour of Emacs on Windows 7 taskbar
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 22:36:04 -0500

The taskbar behaviour of Emacs under Windows 7 leaves
something to be desired.  This may be an insurmountable
problem; but I thought I would at least describe it here.

If you minimize Emacs, an icon appears on the taskbar.  If
you then pin that icon to the taskbar, it will be there even
if emacs is not running.  The problem is that the icon
apparently points to emacs.exe, so, if you click it when
emacs is not already running, you wind up with that
unnecessary and objectionable cmd window.  So I went to bin,
found runemacs.exe, and told Windows to pin that to the
taskbar, which it did.  Now, I can start Emacs without the
cmd window, by clicking that taskbar icon.  The bad news is
that when you minimize emacs, it creates yet another icon on
the taskbar separate from the one for runemacs.

Clearly the problem is not serious; but the behaviour is IMO
non-intuitive and not as clean as one would hope in the
Windows 7 environment.

Perhaps there may even be a workaround that I could not
discover.  Anyone know one?

Regards,
 David V.