Re: [h-e-w] Re: [windows Q] `emacs here' like windows power tool `cmd pr

From: Eli Daniel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: [windows Q] `emacs here' like windows power tool `cmd prompt here'
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:32:37 -0400

I have two such commands I use -- one for directories to open in dired, and another on files.  To get these, you'll need to edit your registry:

Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell, create a key whose name is the text you want to see in the Windows context menus for files.  Mine says "Open with Emacs".

Beneath that new key, create another key called command.  Set its default value to the command line to run when you choose the menu item.  Mine is:
    C:\tools\emacs-23.1\bin\emacsclient.exe -n -a C:\tools\emacs-23.1\bin\runemacs.exe "%1"

As soon as you edit this in regedit, you should have a working context-menu item for files.

To get this to work on directories, repeat the same exercise, but put it under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell.

-Eli

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Burton Samograd <address@hidden> wrote:
Harry Putnam <address@hidden> writes:

> My subject line is probably a miss-quote since I don't recall what the
> MS `power tool' was called that allowed user to open a dos command
> window at whatever directory she was browsing using a right click
> menu.
>
> If anyone knows what I'm talking about, maybe you'll know if anyone
> has ever written something for emacs that would allow user to open an
> emacs terminal at whatever directory she is browsing.

Here's one that was made for cygwin:

   http://software.ellerton.net/cygwin/

It seems to be just a registry patch file, so you might be able to edit
to edit in a 'runemacs.exe -f shell ...' to get what you're looking for.

--
Burton Samograd