[h-e-w] Kaspersky conflicts with emacs

From: David Jaffe
Subject: [h-e-w] Kaspersky conflicts with emacs
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 07:57:49 -0800

I just installed Kaspersky Internet Security 11.01

This causes emacs to fail on launch.  However, if I disable Kaspersky, then launch emacs, then re-enable Kaspersky, emacs seems to run ok.

I tried adding emacs to the “Trusted app” list and to the “exclusion” list, but it didn’t help.

I read the EMACS-for-windows FAQ on anti-virus software, but didn’t see any reference to this problem.  I’ve also searched the web with no luck, surprisingly

The error is:

"Emacs failed to load its dumped heap back into its address space.

The error occurred during the following step:

Reserving upper heap address space.

GetLastError = 487

Heap start: 0x01b00000

Heap commit: 0x01cd0000

Heap end: 0x01cd0000

This error typically happens when the system loads a DLL into the middle of Emacs' address space, preventing Emacs from loading its heap there.  You have two options:

1) You can dump Emacs yourself: By doing this, you ensure that Emacs' heap fits around the DLLs in your system. To dump Emacs, download the emacs-(version)-undump-(arch) distribution file from the site where you downloaded the executable distribution.

2) You can build Emacs from source. This is just another way to dump Emacs on your system.