Re: [h-e-w] Compiling Emacs from Bazaar with full image support (and lib

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Compiling Emacs from Bazaar with full image support (and libxml2)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:58:28 -0400

> From: Sean Sieger <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:07:51 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>     I don't have libxml2 -- did someone actually try building the Windows
>     port with it?
>
> Though you and I discussed it, I never did.
>
> http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html, makes it seem complicated.

Download the latest libxml2 tarball, unpack it, and read
win32/Readme.txt there.  Turns out building it with MinGW is easy,
there's a Windows-specific script in that subdirectory which
configures the package, and it supports MinGW.  I built it without any
fuss, with just one minor bug encountered: I configured with the
optional zlib support, and the produced Makefile used the wrong name
for zlib library (libzdll, while MinGW uses libz).  After fixing that
in win32/Makefile, the build "just worked".

It's a pity this isn't documented anywhere in the libxml2 Web pages,
or we would have known that back then.  Anyway, better late than
never ;-)