Re: [h-e-w] Emacs daemon and emacsclientw configuration

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs daemon and emacsclientw configuration
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 09:40:02 +0300

> From: Rob Davenport <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 21:02:47 -0400
> Cc: Sivaram Neelakantan <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> I tried the instructions in the #toc6 link and it worked OK for me. The page
> says the "-c" parameter was key -
> opening in a new frame and (somehow) therefore not requiring a filename
> argument. I don't quite understand
> but it seems to work.

My main problem with those instructions is that they tell to start the
daemon before using the emacsclientw shortcut.  When the daemon is
already running, the use of -a in the emacsclientw command is an
unnecessary complication.  My other problem with these instructions is
that a recipe that produces an empty frame will make no sense to many
users, which invoke Emacs on specific files and expect that file to be
visited in the frame that opens.  Having a daemon running without
showing any frames is yet another feature that could confuse many
users, who might think that Emacs is not running.

What is the purpose of all these subtleties dumped on the intended
audience, who are supposed to be newbies that follow "cookbook"
recipes blindly, without understanding what they are doing?

IOW, those instructions seem like some "clever" tricks that are also
not easy to follow (witness the OP's failure to do so), which is the
exact opposite of the purpose of the Wiki: to make life easier for the
newcomers.  But that's what you get for using the Wiki in preference
to the official documentation.

Thanks.