Suggest installer optionally set ALTERNATE_EDITOR

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Suggest installer optionally set ALTERNATE_EDITOR
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 20:16:51 +1000

Since the recommended way (in the W32 FAQ) to get file associations working is
to set ALTERNATE_EDITOR (amongst other things) I think it would add value for
the installer to offer this as an optional step.

In my opinion a nice default value is

<emacs root>\emacs-28.1\bin\runemacs.exe --no-splash

as I believe most users would expect the splash screen to be suppressed when
launching emacs via a file association, but may still want the splash screen
when launching emacs directly.

It also seems to me quite benign to set an environment variable that probably
isn't used by anything else.

An additional option to add

(server-start)

to an init file (creating if necessary) would also be nice, but perhaps a
little less benign.

Thoughts?

Thanks and regards,

       - Joel