Re: Windows 29.1 error - xargs MIA

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows 29.1 error - xargs MIA
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:52:46 +0200

> From: Joel Reicher <joel.reicher@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 08:27:13 +1100
>
> One of the ways I've found to get almost all the helper utils emacs needs in
> one hit is to install Git for Windows and do something like
>
> (setenv "PATH" (concat "C:\\Program Files\\Git\\usr\\bin;" (getenv "PATH")))
> (push "C:/Program Files/Git/usr/bin" exec-path)

FWIW, I don't recommend setting PATH from within Emacs, because that
could mean the programs you invoke have a different notion about PATH
than Emacs does.  Instead, change the PATH outside Emacs using the
Windows settings, then Emacs will inherit that value of PATH when it
starts.

Also, beware: the programs in Git/usr/bin are MSYS programs, not
native Windows programs.  They all depend on MSYS DLL, and behave
slightly differently as regards to signals, pipes, and console I/O.
This could cause subtle problems when using them from a native (MinGW)
Windows build of Emacs.  So my advice is to install MinGW ports of the
required utilities, not MSYS ports that are part of Git for Windows.

> The main thing I miss are the man pages.

You need a port of Groff and a man program/clone.

> The only actual util I sometimes use that isn't in there is a spell checker.

What about Texinfo?