Re: Clarification about forced TLS connections with remote mailboxes and

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Clarification about forced TLS connections with remote mailboxes and smtp
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 08:20:23 +0300

> From: BP25 <bp25@riseup.net>
> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 17:24:40 +0100
>
> 4. And by the way, why don't releases of Emacs ship the version of
> movemail by mailutils which is current at the time of the release, and
> instead come with -- as far as I understand -- an obsolete version
> (which doesn't support encrypted POP)?

We cannot ship a program from another package, which is developed by
its own team.  We could only stop shipping our own movemail.  At the
time we decided not to do that drastic step, and instead added to the
configure script code to detect an existing installation of Mailutils,
and a warning message if there was none.

If you have Mailutils installed, Emacs will use its movemail, not the
one which comes with Emacs.