Re: German quotation marks?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: German quotation marks?
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 14:11:19 +0200

On Tue, Apr 30 2024, Michael Maurer wrote:
> When I'm writing in German, I need to quote like β€žTestβ€œ instead of
> "Test". Any way to accomplish this in Emacs? Tried googling "German
> quotation marks", but that's probably not the right way to describe
> it.

Ddg-ing "Emacs German quotation marks" brings up
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TypographicalPunctuationMarks, which seems to
have some helpful information, though some of it looks outdated.

You should probably check out electric-quote-mode, which isn't directly set up
to use German quotes, but it looks like it can easily be configured to do so.

Another option might be to modify an input method, esp. if you happen to use one
already. For example, this is what I do to add some emoji to latin-9-prefix:

```
(with-temp-buffer
  (activate-input-method "latin-9-prefix")
  (let ((quail-current-package (assoc "latin-9-prefix" quail-package-alist)))
    (quail-define-rules ((append . t))
                        (";)" ?πŸ˜‰)
                        (":]" ?😬)
                        ("8)" ?πŸ₯΄)