Re: [Help-gsl] gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_e sign error

From: Robin Hankin
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_e sign error
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:09:08 +0000

Joakim

thank you very much for this. There is a big big leap from "hello world" to programs
that do anything useful, for us learners!

I can not help you with your real problem. However here

 void legendre_Plm_e(int *l, int *m, double *x, int *nx, double *val,
 double *err, int *status)

You *should* take l,m,x and nx as pass by value parameters, i.e.

   void legendre_Plm_e(int l, int m, double x, int nx,
                       double *val, double *err, int *status)

and furthermore refer to them *without* the "*" in the function
body.

Now, I can't take your advice directly, because the system that calls legendre_Plm_e() explicitly requires me to use the "*" form for the calling arguments. I don't know why this is so, but I must use only functions that return void, and pass information back via the calling arguments.

I'm sure your suggestion reflects best practice, but could you explain why it's better than
my way?

best wishes

rksh

--