[Help-gsl] solving polynomials of arbitrary degree

From: David Monniaux
Subject: [Help-gsl] solving polynomials of arbitrary degree
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:57:37 +0100

I'm considering using the *gsl_poly_complex_solve* function for obtaining the complex roots of a real polynomial. However, for my application, I need some precision assurance about the roots; that is, for each computed root zc_i, I need to have a guaranteed bound epsilon_i such that the "ideal" root zi_i fits |zc_i - zi_i| <= epsilon_i.

The epsilon_i need not be tight; however, they must be guaranteed without any kind of unproved approximation.

I'm therefore wondering which guarantees the *gsl_poly_complex_solve* algorithm provides.

Thanks
Regards,
D. Monniaux http://www.di.ens.fr/~monniaux