[Help-gsl] GSL1.6 crashes when allocating memory on Windows

From: tania
Subject: [Help-gsl] GSL1.6 crashes when allocating memory on Windows
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:42:58 +0100

Hello everyone

I am trying to use GSL 1.6 with MSVC++ 6.0. I can properly build programs
against the library and the example Bessel function program (
http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/gsl-ref_2.html#SEC10 ) from the
reference manual runs as expected.
When however, I try to run the supplied ODE example (solving the van der Pol
equations http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/gsl-ref_25.html#SEC389 ),
the program crashes at runtime when allocating memory via the
gsl_odeiv_step_alloc() function:

int main (void){
  const gsl_odeiv_step_type *T = gsl_odeiv_step_rk8pd;
  gsl_odeiv_step *s = gsl_odeiv_step_alloc (T, 2);  <------

The exact error message is "Unhandled exception in testing.exe (LIBGSL.DLL):
0xC0000005: Access Violation".

Since calls to other library functions work properly, this seems to be a
GSL-Windows compatibility issue. Can anyone help? I could not find much
information in Google.

Thank you in advance,

Tania Katzouraki

--