Re: [Help-gsl] Linking problems with gsl

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Linking problems with gsl
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:05:58 +0100

John Pye wrote:
> That works, but it's very naughty. You should only install to /usr
> indirectly, eg by creating an packaged installation such as an RPM or
> DEB file.

Yes, true.  There's a nice explanation of why it's a bad idea here:
http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/using_usr_local

> A better policy is to install to /usr/local but then to modify your
> ~/.bash_profile to include the 'export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib' line.

OK.  To be honest I'm not too sure about how these aspects of UNIX work.
 Would this mean that only I can use the shared library, and that I can
only access it from within the bash shell?  Are there any more general
means for telling the system, "Look in /usr/local/lib as well as /usr/lib"?

Thanks again,

    -- Joe