[Help-gsl] GSL on Win 64

From: Jim Rockford
Subject: [Help-gsl] GSL on Win 64
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:49:36 -0500

Unfortunately, I often need to work in a Windows environment and now have a
need for the GSL libraries with a 64 bit OS (XP).  For a long while (on 32
bit machines) I used the port for 32 bit Windows available here:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gsl.htm

No such port exists for 64 bit Windows (but please correct me if I'm
wrong).  I am aware of the project files put together by Brian Gladman,
available here:
http://fp.gladman.plus.com/computing/gnu_scientific_library.htm
However, I found the documentation too opaque and I was unable to build the
libraries successfully using Visual Studio 2008.

So, I need to come up with some alternative.  My questions for the group are
as follows:

(1) Does there actually exist a 64 bit Windows port for GSL that is readily
available?
(2) I understand that CygWin has a pre-compiled version of GSL that comes
with the installation (or can be chosen to come with it).  Does this mean
that I should be able to set Windows Enviroment variables that specify the
GSL libraries and headers within the CygWin program file directory, and can
then expect that Windows programs that link to these libraries to run
successfully?

Regarding my question (2), in 32 bit Windows I was able to set environment
variables that specified the path to the GSL lib and include directories as
they existed under the default  GnuWin32  directory (for the 32 bit GSL
port).  I'm just wondering if the libraries in the CygWin directories could
be pointed to analogously.

I'll add a 3rd question, which I ask hesitantly because it is a big favor I
ask...
(3) Can anyone tell me step by step how to compile the project files
provided by Brian Gladman?  I'm a linux guy at heart and I just don't have
enough experience with the Microsoft Visual Studio environment to do it (I
tried, as I said, and failed miserably).

Thanks,
Jim