Re: [Help-gsl] Reading data from a file to a vector

From: Steven Vancoillie
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Reading data from a file to a vector
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:13:17 +0100

On Saturday 24 January 2009 22:23:45 Ivan Pulido wrote:
> Hey, I have a quick question, sorry if it's to "noob", but Im really new to
> GSL and I've checked the manual and couldnt find the answer.
>
> What I want to do is reading a plain text file with data in the format
>
> x1 y1
>
> x2 y2
>
> ... and such
>
> So my doubt is how to read the first colum (xdata) and save it to a vector
> xdata[] and the same with the second column and ydata[]. Is there a way to
> do this with gsl_vector_fscanf function? I'd appreciate some help on this,
> or at least some hints on what should I look for, thanks in advance.

It's not because you use GSL that you're forbidden to use just C :)

With x and y are pointers to a gsl_vector, one can use:

 FILE * input = fopen("filename", "r");
 int i = 0; while (fscanf (input, "%lf%lf", x->data+i, y->data+i) != EOF) ++i;

I assume you know the length of the vectors, in which case you could
use a for loop of course.

grtz
Steven