[Help-gsl] Hasard library (random number generators)

From: Victor Stinner
Subject: [Help-gsl] Hasard library (random number generators)
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 01:29:12 +0200

Hi,

I wrote a small library to generate (pseudo) random number using differents
algorithms (eg. Mersenne Twister, Arcfour, ISAAC, etc.). The goals are:

 * simple API avoiding common mistakes (eg. rand()%10)
 * safe: seed the generator using good quality entropy, reentrant function
   (thread safe), reseed the engine at fork, etc.
 * well tested

Hasard reuses existing libraries like GSL, OpenSSL, gcrypt, GMP and glib. For
example, you can use GSL to generate random numbers and OpenSSL to seed GSL
generator.

I would like to know if GSL developers would be interested by this library. I
see that GSL RNG are not seeded. Is it a choice? Hasard always initialize a
RNG using a random seed.

Hasard can be used to initialize a GSL RNG, or maybe as a RNG "backend"?

Before sending patches, I first would like to know if you would be interesed
by such idea.

The library works on Linux / FreeBSD / Windows on 32 / 64 bits CPU. It's
written in C and distributed under BSD license.

Website: http://haypo.hachoir.org/trac/wiki/hasard

Note: Hasard is still under development, the API may change before
      the final version (1.0).

--
Victor Stinner aka haypo
http://www.haypocalc.com/blog/