Re: [Help-gsl] Hasard library (random number generators)

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Hasard library (random number generators)
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 16:08:15 +0100

At Wed, 13 May 2009 01:29:12 +0200,
Victor Stinner wrote:
> I would like to know if GSL developers would be interested by this library. I
> see that GSL RNG are not seeded. Is it a choice? Hasard always initialize a
> RNG using a random seed.

Hi,

Thanks for your email, I have taken a look at the library--it is
nicely done.  Regarding seeding in GSL, each generator is always
initialised with the same default seed for reproducibility.

> Before sending patches, I first would like to know if you would be interesed
> by such idea.

Could you give some more details of what you had in mind?  The GSL API
has been in use for a long time, so we probably shouldn't make major
changes to it now, but maybe other internal changes are possible.
What ways do you think the existing GSL code could be improved?

--
Brian Gough
(GSL Maintainer)

Support freedom by joining the FSF!