Re: [Help-gsl] fGSL: GSL binding for MySQL

From: Ferhat Bingol
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] fGSL: GSL binding for MySQL
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 22:02:52 +0200

Hi Thomas,

I am glad that someone raise that issue because I was meaning to
discuss about it with someone who knows "licences" more than me.

I read the section you mentioned. Previously, I was thinking as I will
write below, but now I am confused.

What I understood with my limited knowledge of law is; if I do not
edit MySQL or GSL code but create a third library (fGSL in this case)
my new  code can have any licence I choose.

Because, if you use fGSL, you cannot use it without MySQL or GSL, but
fGSL is only linked to these codes in library level and you do not
need to edit them to make fGSL work. (fGSL is a dynamic library that
you just put into plugin directory of MySQL and you place the GSL
dynamic library into your common library directory.)

I do not distribute modified GSL or MySQL. They work with the official
distribution version; as they are. It is user's work to find and
install them to his/her system.

So, my conclusion for now was, if you use fGSL, you use it with the
licence I choose (GPL 3.0) and at the same time, you have to take into
account MySQL and GSL licences separately and it is the end users
responsibility to cover the results of this action.