Re: [Help-gsl] rk2imp speed in odeiv vs odeiv2

From: Tuomo Keskitalo
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] rk2imp speed in odeiv vs odeiv2
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 21:21:01 +0200

Hello,

rk2imp (among other implicit methods) in ode-initval2 uses a modified Newton iteration instead of old functional iteration in solving the system of non-linear equations. E.g. for stiff problems Newton iteration is quite more powerful. Because of that, the ODE-solver can use larger step sizes. Newton iteration converges with larger step sizes, while functional iteration does not.