Re: [Help-gsl] is gsl_integration_workspace reusable?

From: Denes Molnar
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] is gsl_integration_workspace reusable?
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 22:24:45 -0500 (EST)

I think that is fine, I would add something like "A workspace may be reused for subsequent numerical integrations (all necessary reinitialization is performed automatically by the integration routines)."

Denes

Email from Rhys Ulerich on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:12pm:

Hi Denes,

The whole issue arose because a collaborator could not independently
reproduce some of my results.

+1 for having collaborators who independently reproduce results.

Anyway, explicit confirmation that the workspace is reusable was very
useful. Not to mention that it is cleared by the gsl routines upon each
call. It would probably be helpful to include this information in the
manual (or have we missed it?).

I think the re-usability of workspaces is implied by the manual but I
do not see where it is explicitly stated.

Do you think adding "A workspace may be used to perform multiple
numerical integrations." to the end of gsl_integration_workspace's
documentation at
http://www.gnu.org/s/gsl/manual/html_node/QAG-adaptive-integration.html
would be sufficiently clear?  Can you think of better wording?  Maybe
"multiple sequential numerical integrations"?

- Rhys