Re: [Help-gsl] Should I learn C or C++

From: Francesco Abbate
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Should I learn C or C++
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 11:02:44 +0200

2012/4/6 Alexander Gallego <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
> I need to implement the GSL but I'm not sure if I should better learn C or
> C++ in order to make a correct and fast use of the library.
> Which language do you recommend?
>
> Thanks too much.

Hi Alexander,

I strongly recommend to learn the C programming language before. I
know myself both C and C++ and I have some experience about both
programming languages and GSL itself.

The reason why I recommend to learn C before is that the GSL library
is written in C and has a very clean and logical C APIs. This make GSL
ideal to learn and prectice good programming practices in C.

In my opinion you should avoid to begin with C++ because this latter
is much more complex than C and you can easily misuse it and get in
troubles. It is much better to learn C first to really understand its
concepts and only when you master C you can switch to C++.

As the popular wisdom say it is better to learn to walk before trying
to run ! :-)

Best regards,
Francesco