Re: [Help-gsl] Adaptive double integration

From: Maximilian Treiber
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Adaptive double integration
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 16:26:49 +0200

Hi Jonny,

there is Monte-Carlo integration in GSL, but for 2D this is most
probably not an improvement.

Furthermore, there is this adaptive multidimensional integration code:
  http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Cubature
which is very similar to the gsl routines, but allows for arbitrary
dimensions. They claim that it is best suited for a moderate number
of dimensions, which should fit your needs.

I had to do a 4D integral recently for a physics project and after
playing around with MC and Cubature for a long time, I found that
simply nesting the integrals was be best method, because one has
a much greater flexibility to exploit the symmetries of the problem.
In particular when you know a lot about your function: Choosing a
suitable coordinate transformation and integration limits can be
much more important ...

Best regards,

Max