[Help-gsl] gsl_multimin_fminimizer_set fails to return

From: Stephen J. Barr
Subject: [Help-gsl] gsl_multimin_fminimizer_set fails to return
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 21:19:59 -0700

Hello,

I am working on a project using GSL to minimize a function, where this
function calls MPI to do the actual computation. I have both an MPI and a
non-MPI version of the objective function. When I use the non-MPI version,
everything seems to work. However, when I use the MPI version,
gsl_multimin_fminimizer_set fails to run ("passed set" never prints)

  cout << "GSL: " << "Starting minimizer" << endl;
  S = gsl_multimin_fminimizer_alloc(T, MODEL_VALUE_COUNT);
  cout << "GSL: passed alloc"  << endl;
  gsl_multimin_fminimizer_set(S, &MinexFunc, StartVec, StepVec);
  cout << "GSL: passed set" << endl;

The full code is available at https://gist.github.com/3522278

The non-mpi version code from 596 to 613 runs just as I would want it to.
However, the MPI equivalent (lines 622 to 650) do not. I would really
appreciate some feedback as to why this isn't working as I would expect. I
know that the mpi objective function (nll_mpi, which is wrapped by
SolveEnergy).

Thanks,
Stephen