Re: [Help-gsl] GSL 2.3 test failures on OBS

From: Patrick Alken
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] GSL 2.3 test failures on OBS
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 15:55:35 -0600

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. I wouldn't worry about the box3d failure - the failure seems to occur only for the LM+accel algorithm and only when using finite differences to compute the directional derivative vector. I know from some experience that finite differences don't work very well to calculate that vector, so in some sense this is a known problem. I will log this into the bug tracker so I can take a look when I find some more time, and possibly contact the original author of that algorithm to see what he thinks.

But you can sleep well - there are around 41 different test problems for that module, which thoroughly test the various algorithms. I guess if you're really worried then if you use the LM+accel algorithm, be sure to use an analytic expression for the directional derivative vector.

Thanks,
Patrick