Re: [Help-gsl] latest version of GSL available for Red Hat

From: Mark Galassi
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] latest version of GSL available for Red Hat
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 15:49:09 -0600

    Alan> You might have better luck asking on a RHEL or CentOS list. In
    Alan> the repos I have enabled, I only see 1.15 is available

That's correct, and it's an embarrassment for them.  Sadly the EPEL
people don't package a newer version either.  Maybe one from our lest
could try to work with them on that.

In my work this causes real problems: I release a huge simulation
framework by building some 20 RPMs, and they need a newer GSL than 1.15.

At first I made my own packages, but then they got in the way of other
packages on Red Hat 7, so I had to create a differently named package (I
called it gsl2_diorama, since our framework is called diorama) that
installs in a different area (a bit like how Red Hat packages newer
versions of the root C++ libraries).

A lot of work to get that going, although it's made a bit easier by the
careful use of autotools and of things like pkg-config and gsl-config.