Re: survey about compiler toolchain used on Windows

From: Francesco Abbate
Subject: Re: survey about compiler toolchain used on Windows
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 10:10:36 +0200

Hi Jeremy, all,

thank you for your reminder about the GNU coding standards. We know
that the GSL library is an official GNU project and is published under
the GPL license.

> Whether to support Mingw64, and Windows in general, in your package is your
> choice. The GNU Project doesn’t say you have any responsibility to do so. Our
> goal is to replace proprietary systems, including Windows, not to enhance
> them. If people pressure you to make your program run on Windows, and you are
> not interested, you can respond with, “Switch to GNU/Linux — your freedom
> depends on it.”

I personally chose to support Mingw64 and Windows for my projects and
I am glad to see that this is not forbidden by the GNU coding
standards.

I support Windows because the reality is that a majority of people use
Windows on their PC and this is not going to change anytime soon,
weather we like it or not. By reaching more people with free software
we are doing the good of the free software action because those people
will know that free software exists and some of them may eventually
switch to a GNU/Linux system.

Kind regards
Francesco