Re: boost 1-60

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: boost 1-60
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 21:38:11 -0500

On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 04:30:02PM -0800, carl hansen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Ben Woodcroft <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi Carl,
> >
> > On 07/01/16 09:33, carl hansen wrote:
> >
> > I see from guix-devel boost-1.60 is now included.
> >
> > Actually Boost 1.60 has not yet been included in the master branch, so
> > pulling will not grab it. If you wish to use it then you will either need
> > to apply the patches sent to the mailing list yourself, or wait the patches
> > have been integrated into master.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ben
> >

> Ok thanks for your replys, Ben and Eric.
> I'm just trying to figure out how the systems of guix and hydra work..
> When do changes get applied to 'master'?

What you saw on the mailing list was a work-in-progress patch under
review. When the patch is approved and applied to the master branch of
the Guix git repo [0], you can see it in the log.

At that time, you can update your package definitions like this...
$ guix pull

Then, to update all the packages in your profile, do
$ guix package --upgrade

To upgrade only package 'foo', do
$ guix package --upgrade foo

If you are familiar with Debian, Ubuntu, or Linux Mint:
apt-get update  == guix pull
apt-get upgrade == guix package --upgrade

> I did guix refresh
> and I see 200 packages can be updated. Can that be automated? It's kind of
> annoying to get not up to date packages, especially to obsessive/compulsive
> geeks.

`guix refresh` doesn't need to be used here. Use `guix package` for
installing, upgrading, and removing software.

[0]
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git
There is also a guix-commits mailing list that emails you the git log.